I’m a lazy person at heart.
Whilst good food and good nutrition are important to me so is not slaving away in a hot kitchen when I’m tired, cranky and have hungry mouths to feed (namely my own..). This means I’m always on the lookout for quick, nutritious and tasty meals the fam-bam will love, and I’ve found another favourite to add to the repertoire with this Low-Fat Creamy Mustard Chicken.
This recipe came from a post I saw when scrolling through Pinterest (P.S. you should definitely follow JL Fit Nutrition on Pinterest!) but then promptly forgot to pin – thank you pregnancy brain – and so had to basically make it up as I went along. I’m not sure what the actual recipe was supposed to taste like but this was pretty damn good! It was devoured by everyone and labelled as thoroughly delicious.
The original recipe used verjuice, which I normally have but had unfortunately run out of, so I used extra lemon juice. If you have verjuice and/or are feeling fancy try cutting the lemon juice by a half and adding 100ml of verjuice or white wine. I’m pretty sure the original recipe also used cream which I substituted for milk and cornflour – less fat and better for you. You can also substitute with nut milk to make this dish dairy free if that’s your jam.
This meal was on the table in fewer than 30 minutes (including prep) which makes it a perfect weeknight dinner. I served with green beans and a big dollop of mashed potato and cauliflower however you can leave out the mash to keep it low-carb; it’s still a high-protein, filling and completely satisfying main meal. If you have more time you can use chicken thighs or drumsticks and let it simmer and thicken with the chicken pieces in the sauce, and if you’re really lazy you could definitely throw the whole lot in the slow cooker. The tangy mustards, zingy lemon and reduced fat milk combine into a creamy, rich sauce that tastes naughty but isn’t. Low-Fat Creamy Mustard Chicken – bookmark now for a weeknight winner dinner!
Low Fat Creamy Mustard Chicken
4 small chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
1 tbsp olive oil
200 gm small Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
1 leek, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 sprigs thyme
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 tbsp cornflour
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup chicken stock
2/3 cup milk
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1) Heat a large, non-stock frying pan over medium-high heat
2) Add chicken breasts and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (3-4 minutes). Set aside.
3) Heat oil in same frying pan then add mushrooms, leek, garlic, thyme and rind and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
4) Sprinkle over the cornflour then add lemon juice, stock, milk and mustards.
5) Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
6) Once the sauce has thickened slightly add chicken pieces, and continue simmering until chicken is cooked through.
7) Season to taste and serve with greens and/or mash.
Fit Kitchen Blog
Healthy recipes for people that love food.
Join the JLFN community to receive your free healthy chocolate recipes e-book
- as well as a regular newsletter with exclusive recipes, tips and special offers - making it easier to reach your health and fitness goals!