Love is in the air! (part three)
Valentine’s Day is almost upon us! If you’ve been following the valentine’s dinner posts (you can find the potato gnocchi entrée here and the miso pumpkin and edamame salad with salmon here) you’ll know it’s time for my favourite course: dessert. And what better way to end a romantic meal than with my favourite food: chocolate. And because we don’t have time to slave away in the kitchen, worrying about dessert, the recipe is for a no-fail crowdpleaser - cheat’s chocolate lava cake.
The pudding itself is a super simple (and healthy!) chocolate pudding batter which you can whip up in a matter of minutes. Chocolate lava cake is all about moist, decadent pudding with an oozy chocolate centre, and while normally this is achieved through careful watching and meticulous baking, we make oozy, melty chocolate centres a sure thing by stuffing the pudding batter with a few squares of dark chocolate before popping it into the oven. Another win for the lazy people! You can thank me later.
The pudding is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and refined sugar free – not bad for a delicious, decadent chocolate pudding! I felt the best way to serve it was with a full-fat, full-sugar, dairy-laden scoop of ice-cream, because I’m all about balance, but you could also use your favourite healthy ice- cream recipe. If you wanted to remove the nuts due to allergies or personal taste this recipes works well using any flour. Pop the cakes in the oven when you remove the pumpkin so they cook while you enjoy main course, then serve immediately. A perfect chocolately end to a perfect romantic meal.
JL Fit Nutrition newsletter subscribers will have a handy “Valentine’s Day Dinner Prep Plan” delivered straight to their inbox tomorrow morning to make time-management and meal prep a breeze! To get your free copy of this handy planner simply fill in your details in the subscription box (at the bottom of this post if you’re on your smart phone, or in the top right corner if you’re using web viewer). All newbies also get a copy of my free protein ebook – that’s two for the price of none! Get on it!
Cheat’s Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake
1 cup dried dates
2 & 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
4 squares of dark chocolate
Ice-cream, to serve
1)Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (if you’re cooking this straight after the Valentine’s main course you can simply turn the oven down to 180).
2) Cover the dates in boiling water and allow to stand for at least 15 minutes. Puree the dates and few spoonfuls of the soaking liquid in a food processor until a smooth paste forms.
3) Mix date paste, coconut oil and coconut sugar until well combined. Stir in egg and vanilla.
4) Add dry ingredients and mix well, then divide among two 375ml ramekins.
5) Place 2 squares of dark chocolate in the centre of each pudding. Push down gently then spread the pudding mixture to completely cover the chocolate pieces.
6) Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until just cooked through.
7) Serve immediately with ice-cream.
Fit Kitchen Blog
Healthy recipes for people that love food.
Join the JLFN community to receive your free healthy chocolate recipes e-book
- as well as a regular newsletter with exclusive recipes, tips and special offers - making it easier to reach your health and fitness goals!